Phase 1: Posing Real Questions
- Why do they use silk thread mostly instead of other materials such as cotton or nylon?
- How is the silk prepared for embroidery?
- How is hand-made embroidery different from machine embroidery?
- I see a lot of flowers, zodiac animals, and goldfish in embroidery. What does certain embroidery symbolize?
- How has the embroidery changed from before to after the cultural revoution?
- There's always one type of flower that keeps showing up in Bai costumes. What is it and why is it there?
- What embroidery is on the clothing of Bai women?
- What embroidery is on the clothing of Miao/Hmong women?
9. What makes one piece more expensive than another?
10. How much would a professional embroiderer make?
To answer these questions, I need to constantly visit Happy Embroidery, an embroidery shop a short distance from our home at the Microcampus in Xizhou. I need to get information from people in the embroidery field, and I will ask people who embroider there, as well as others who work there.