Phase 3: Interpreting Information
After posting what I know and what I want to know in Phase 1, now I have to do some background research to help me understand more and help me come up with the big questions. In this phase, I will first do some background research about my topic, water usage/treatment, and when I am in Xizhou, I will have to collect Information from local contacts to make my research more accurate.
The "mother lake" of Yunnan Province is called Lake Erhai, and most of the fresh water in Xizhou comes from Lake Erhai. Most of the people at Xizhou are farmers, and they know quite a lot about the irrigation system over there. There is three aqueducts in Xizhou, the first one pumps water from Lake Erhai to Xizhou, and the second and third pumps water from further places. Before the aqueduct in Xizhou used to be used to deceiver water to further places and people in Xizhou have to get water from the top of the Cang Shan mountains. Water in the aqueducts goes to the farm by canals, which the farmers made. It says that in Yuanna, they use cutting edge technologies to filter the water. Sewer water and water from agricultural land will all go into Lake Erhai, than it will flow into the water treatment entrance, which will add oxygen to the water than filter the water. After cleaning the water, it will go to a artificial wetland then flow into Lake Erhai. Lake Erhai has change so much over a long period of time. In the past, the water was clean, that kids could drink from it or swim inside. However, now, it is getting more polluted and people only allow to fish 2 month a year.
Information From 3 to 5's:
After interviewing Ms. Linden, I learned that the government are building the wetland for the water that is coming down from the mountain and the waste water will all go to the wetland first. After interviewing Ms. Mai, I learned that there are many water purifiers next to the lake, about every 500-meter. The government did that to make sure everyone has clean water.
Information From Local Contacts:
Ms. Zhong (owner of a western restaurant):
• She uses 30L of water every month because she owns a big restaurant.
• She is trying to conserve their water use by using the dishwater and the laundry water to flower.
• If the water price goes up, she will continue using that method
• On the May holiday, there is more people come the restaurant, that may cause the increase of water usage, because some tourist went to wash their hand, they need to clean more plate and they need to clean more food.
• After harvesting all of the garlic, which does not need that much water, they are now planting the rice
• The government has installed more pipes for the irrigation system.
This helps me to understand more about how the size of the restaurant many affect the usage of water.
Ms. Li (farmer/fishermen):
• She pays 20 rmb every month for water fee
• She does not conserve water
• She drink tap water
She helps me understand about how much water does a local regular villager use
Mr. Shi (popsicle maker):
• He pay 40rmb every month for water fee
• He only conserve water when he is at home
• They get their water from tap water
• They do not use water to make the popsicle so the tourist did not affect his job
She helps me understand about how different business can affect the use of water
Ms. Yang (work at the kitchen in Linden Centre):
• Drinks from underground water
• She thinks that the water that she drink had been purified
• He use 10L every month
• At the Linden Centre, they first use water for cleaning the food, than they use the wastewater for flowering, and then use it to flush toilet
• They have using this method all the time
• She will use the same method if the water price rise
She helps me understand more about the linden centre
Mr. Wang (engineer at the water treatment plant):
• Goes to the dust separator
• Than it separator the big junk
• Goes to storage
• Plant Treatment
Mr. Wang interview:
• They revives 300 cubic meter wastewater coming in every day
• It cost 59,820,000rmb to build the water plant
• If 300 cubic meter of wastewater comes in the water plant, 300 cubic meter of clean water comes out.
He helps me learn all of the process of water treatment plant and also told me all of my big questions about the water treatment plant.
Mr. Yin (Owner of the cheeses Factory) 4.27.15:
• The water she drinks comes down from the mountain and it flows right in front of his house
• The water she the water for cleaning food to feed the cows
• They put fish inside the well, and if the fish dies, that means the water is too dirty to use
• She only need to pay 30rmb every half year because of the mountain water
• If you dig for 5 meters, you will get water
He told more of the way to get water and more ways to conserve water.
Ms. Ma (Farmer) 4.27.15:
• Right now they are harvesting and it is the dry season so they do not turn on the irrigation system.
• The irrigation water has been pump from the lake.
She told me a bit about how the irrigation system works
Mr. Yang (Fishermen) 4.28.15:
• They got their drinking water from the mountains
• If they do not pay their mountain water fee, they pump will get block
• They get their cleaning water from Erhai, but they have to get it 500 meters outside of the shore
• Their is at lest 2 small water filter in every village for cleaning the water before they dump it into Erhai
• When more tourist come to Xizhou, Erhai become more polluted
• Every year, the government cleans the most dirtiest place of Erhai
• Before, the water was almost up to Linden Centre
• He fishes at night when the government is not watching
• On the top of the mountain, they get free water from the steam of the mountain
Mr. Zhang (Hair Cutter) 5.3.15:
• The tourist do not come to his shop, only the locals
• The when more and more tourist comes, the local business need to get more water for the tourist
• When more tourist comes to Xizhou the pollution of the water increase
Ms. Zhao (Street Vender)(5.4.15):
• Erhai is cleaner than before
• People Can not fish at this time
• Tourist do not really come to Erhai
• Government arranged cleaner to clean the road
Mr. He (Small restaurant Next to Lake Erhai) 5.4.15:
• Erhai is cleaner than before
• Before people use Erhai as a fishpond, but now people are not allowed so now the water is much cleaner
• If the tourist clean up by them self, there would not be that much problems.
• Two problem of Erhai:
1 When the big fishes come up to lay their egg, people use electric to stun them, which kills the same and big fish
• About two to three families come out at night when the government turns blind eyes and fish.
• They use electric sticks to fry the fishes and it will also kill the small fish
• It has always been a problem of Erhai
1 When man controlled the water circulation, it was not doing such a good job.
• Sha Zuen He, which is in the west, the water does not flow
• Mu Qi Hu, which is the East of the lake, the water flow.
• The dam has not been helpful to nature.
• The water plant absorb the bacteria, which means the water. However, if the dam does not open up, the water plant will dissolve in the lake, which means all the bacteria will be release again.
The Wet Land Poster 5.4.15:
• All of the waste water from Xizhou are all going to go to the wet land
• They have set up 3 water treatment plant inside the wetland park
Answers to Previous Questions:
1. How do the farmers over there conserve water?
They get their irrigation water from Erhai, and then after it flow through all the plant, the left over goes back to Erhai, and they just let it flow
2. How does the village conserve their water?
Most of the villagers just reuse the water they use for laundry and washing food.
3. How long have they use the system (conserving water)?
Since when the water price rise
4. What kind of irrigation system do they use?
5. How much water does an average farmer or villager use?
10-30 rmb every month
6. How clean is the water after it been through the water plant?
7. How clean is the underground water?
8. Is the water that is treated in the water treatment plant drinkable?
Yes, after the water is treated, it will only flow into the villagers’ home, where they could boiled it.
9. Where does the treated water go?
Right now, the treated water will go into the village, in the future, the treated water will go into the wetland.
10. What is the biggest problem of Erhai right now?
The current and illegal fishing.
1. H, Sujin. "Shanghai American School." Shanghai American School. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 Mar. 2015.
2. "Yunnan Water Industry Investment and Development Co." Yunnan Water Industry Investment and Development Co. Chinadaily, n.d. Web. 09 Mar. 2015.
3. Z, Erin. "Shanghai American School." Shanghai American School | MICROCAMPUS. Shanghai American School, n.d. Web. 10 Mar. 2015.
4. C., Banner. "Shanghai American School." Shanghai American School|MICROCAMPUS. Shanghai American School, n.d. Web. 12 Mar. 2015.
5.Ms. Zhong (owner of a western restaurant)
6.Ms. Li (farmer/fishermen)
7. Mr. Shi (popsicle maker)
8.Ms. Yang (work at the kitchen in Linden Centre)
9. Mr. Wang (engineer at the water treatment plant)
10.Mr. Yin (Owner of the cheeses Factory)
11. Ms. Ma (Farmer)
12. Mr. Yang (Fishermen)
13. The Hike
14.Mr. Zhang (Hair Cutter)
15. Ms. Zhao (Street Vender)
16. Mr. He (Small restaurant Next to Lake Erhai)
17. The Wet Land Poster
Now I have finished my Phase 3 work because I got all the information that I need to complete the finial product. I am ready to move on to Phase 4, so continue following story of water usage/treatment.